This is a bit later than I had planned but we’ve been going to bed at the same time as the kids while we’ve been away so I’ve not really had much time! We hadn’t planned on that. We could easily hang out on the balcony with a bottle of wine or even arrange babysitters. But Rupes has been doing his usual trick of refusing any cot that’s not his own, so he’s been sleeping in my arms. I get him to sleep and then nod off myself!! So rock and roll. Although we (Rob and I) both do feel so rested for it! It’s just so amazing to be in hotels and not have any chores to do or argue about! No restraints and no jobs, no tidying, no cooking, no washing. We only have to think about what we feel like doing and I’m such a sucker for a hotel breakfast. I just never want it to end!
Anyway back to the point! The girls wore black dungarees to travel in.. I knew they would be rolling around on the dirty airport floor, eating (and spilling) meals on the go and just generally getting filthy. But I didn’t want them to look like the little grot bags they are when we arrived at our swanky NYC hotel..
Black dungarees are the perfect solution. They don’t show up any dirt, the ‘bib’ bit at the front disguises most drips of food, drink or colouring pen accidents. Plus, they look pretty darn cute too.
Of course, we’d barely entered the airport before we had our first spillages. Rose splodged porridge down her front and Hattie had a laughing-with-orange-juice -in-her-mouth malfunction.
As you can see from the pics, when we arrived in a very hot and muggy Manhattan they still looked fairly presentable (if a little exhausted).
I adopted the same principle for Rupert. His was the grey HM romper which has been featured here before. When we got to NYC we whipped off the top he was wearing underneath and voila- one cool and breezy baby!
While on the plane, I changed all three kids into cotton onesies. I packed three navy babygrows for Rupert (again dirt disguising). I find the all-in-one aspect helps against any nasty chills on the sometimes freezing plane and it kept his feet covered so he didn’t pick up any foot diseases on the many many trips up and down the aisles.
I have featured a similar outfit for the girls before in my dungarees post, but now you get to see them in action!
- John Lewis black dungarees now £14
- Next stripe long sleeve tee £4.50
- Boden grey jersey dungarees now £15 These are a cute alternative for bigger girls and they look so comfy!!
- Next white tee £3 – I took a spare top in my bag in case of any accidents. Changed them into these when we got to New York so they were a bit cooler.
- Hm romper – this has actually sold out now :(.But the Petit Bateau dungarees are a cute alternative or if you have a bigger boy I would get the same ones as the girls from John Lewis.
- Petite Bateau Breton bodysuit £25 or this one from John Lewis for £18
- Next 3 pack baby grows £16
- A catchy bib